Saturday, March 1, 2008

We All Have to Start Somewhere


Some time ago, my Mom found a few things she thought I might want and brought them to me. One of them was this lovely afghan--my first attempt at crocheting (I don't think the yards and possibly miles of chains that I crocheted prior to this really count for much). I remember spending the night at my Grandma's and having her teach me how to make "Granny Squares." I was so excited to be crocheting for real. She gave me a bunch of little balls of leftover yarn and I went a little crazy. I have, on occasion, thought back to this time with my Grandma with fondness and remembered my first afghan, but I had forgotten just how UGLY it was. Anyway, when I look at this picture, it makes me smile. My Grandma was such a patient soul to teach me how to do this. My girls are always wanting to be involved in my project-making. Maybe I need to be a little more patient with their attempts at learning my crafts.

5 comments:

three pinkies said...

My Grandma taught my mom to crochet, and my mom taught me. Somehow I've never really managed to do more than those afghans that were done in big long strips, oh, and half a leper bandage. I know we are supposed to learn these kinds of things so when we have no power in the last days we can whip out some socks or hot pads. I guess I'm just not worried enough (prepared enough) to be printing out crochet patterns for future use.
I think it's really good to have things like your afghan that bring back great memories... even if we don't think they look great. It's the memories that count!!

Caroline said...

I have one of those, not granny squares, but something similar and not as beautiful. You have to start somewhere. Grandma was a really great woman, wasn't she? She was pretty patient and I really loved being with her. I wonder what grandma would have done if today's scrapbooks were a part of her day? I would love to have seen that.

Unknown said...

Well, your afghan looks a lot better than any of mine have ever looked and I have done a few of them. Maybe some day I will get the hang of it and be pleased with my work.

Natilie said...

I would hang that thing on a wall and forbid my children from ever touching it. Not only is it a great attempt at a young? age, but the memories it would bring would make me smile a lot. I love this blog, it is so fun. Also, ditto to Alisa about the last days thing. Really? Is there going to be no medical supplies or socks or hotpads? It's a good thing I prefer being sockless.

three pinkies said...

The other night I watched part of Nanny McPhee, and your afghan looks a lot like the one on Chrissy's bed (the one the old aunt almost took). If you hadn't already made such cute blankets for your girls you could put it on one of their beds! :)